Purpose, Vision, and Values
As we have lived into and through the realities of COVID and a changing world, our leadership teams have been in intentional, and prayerful discernment as to how God is calling our congregation to be the Body of Christ in this time and place. We have felt the movement of the Spirit in our midst and are excited for where God is leading us and what God is getting ready to do in and through Bethel Presbyterian Church! This is an ongoing process, so updates to this page will reflect the continual work of prayer, learning, and leaning into God's new call. How is God calling you to be a part of what God is doing here?
The Purpose of the Church in All Times and Places: To glorify God and serve Christ by the guidance of the Holy Spirit- loving the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength; and loving our neighbor as ourselves.
The Mission of Bethel Presbyterian Church: We believe God is calling us, in this time and place to fulfill this purpose by authentically:
Isaish 43:19 Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
Our Vision: To be a Christ-centered community of hope, truth, encouragement, and peace in this uncertain time when people are searching for something and Someone to hold onto.
Our Commitments and Values:
With Jesus Christ as the foundation and center of who we are and all we do, and with Scripture to lead us in our life together and in our daily walk in the world, we are guided by these commitments and values…
Worship: We believe that it is in our worship that God’s people primarily give glory to God. We gather to honor and praise our Lord, to learn the Truth of God’s Word, and to be strengthened for daily living. We strive for our worship services to be joyful and warm, and to include the variety of voices and styles that invite all into the genuine worship of our Lord.
People: We honor each person as God’s precious creation, made in God’s image, beloved and valued by Him. We strive to be a community of compassion and encouragement, caring for each one in their time and place of need.
Welcome: As Christ opened his arms to all who came to him, we strive to extend a warm welcome to all, inviting them to come as they are, and to find here a community of support, encouragement and love.
Neighbors: Jesus told us to love our neighbor, and in his life and death he showed us what that means. We strive to be the best neighbor we can be to all people, as we: respond to the needs of our community and world with timely acts of compassion and service; offer loving childcare and preschool for area families; and provide space for members of our community including groups that care for those who are most vulnerable.
Growth: As a community of faith, we journey together in our lives of faith. Each person has something to teach and something to learn. We strive to grow together in faith, trust, and obedience as we study and reflect on God’s Word together. We strive to serve our Lord together as we help each one discover how God is calling them, recognize and rely on the gifts the Spirit has given them, and work to help each one be equipped and encouraged in their life of faith and servant-hood.
Steadfastness: Because God’s faithfulness has sustained the ministry of Bethel Presbyterian Church for almost 250 years, we have been able to be a presence of light and hope in the South Hills for generations. We strive to: remember with gratitude all the ways God has guided us in the past; honor the faith and example of those who came before us; celebrate God’s presence and care for us in the present; and trust God’s leading as we look to the future. We are committed to faithful obedience and careful stewardship of all God has put in our care so we can remain steadfast in His service for years to come.
As we begin to live into God's leading in this new thing God is calling us to be and do- the leadership teams have identified four key focus areas to which we will initially devote time, attention, and resources:
1. Children and Families: We care deeply for the unique challenges that families are facing in these crazy times and will learn and do what we can to be a source of support and care- in our worship services, in our programs and events, and in ministries of care and encouragement.
2. Community Care: We are very aware that there are deep needs in our community and are committed to learning about those needs (especially those of the elderly, economically challenged, and youth) and discovering how our unique passions and gifts can be best used to help ease those needs.
3. Communication: We know that the old ways of sharing the good news of what God is up to in the church and in the world don't always speak into newer contexts, and that current situations do not allow people to participate in worship and programs in the ways they have in the past. We are excited to explore new ways to share information and learn and grow together.
Stay tuned for updates on how we are exploring, learning, growing, and doing in these areas!
How Can You Be Invovled?
1. Prayer- the most important and critical thing we can do during this time of discernment, change, and growth is to pray- for God's leading, for wisdom, for blessing- that we will be faithful to God's calling and a light in the world. If you would like to receive weekly prayer prompts to guide your prayers for Bethel Pres- contact Pastor Cathie.
2. Jump In- the work we are called to do requires workers- hands and feet and hearts engaged in serving, leading, helping, teaching, making music, cooking, running technology... the list is endless...and each thing we each do is one more beam of light we shine! Want to know how you can help make vision reality- check out this list!
3. Financial Support- your regular offerings help cover the financial needs of all our ministry areas and all our focus priorities. Special gifts target areas of passion that God has placed on your heart to support. Visit this page for more information on ways you can support what God is doing in and through Bethel in this time.